Handling the TFS 2010 event batch process

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Hello,

I was wondering how people were dealing with the new event batch processing for TFS 2010?  This processing means that there could be up to a 2 minute delay from when you change the Build Quality to when the soap event is sent to the TFS Deployer service. 

Currently, we use TFS Deployer running against TFS 2005 where the event messages are sent in close to real time.  This allowed us to create a hefty deployment system that has release personal getting a request for deployment (workitem) and then completing the request by setting the build quality to the appropriate deployment region. Release managers instantly get email notifications than the deployment started and when it finishes. FYI on average we complete over 100 deployments a day.

Now that we have started to migration development to TFS 2010 I am worried that the delay will be tough for the release to handle. Two minutes is a long time when most of our service based deployments complete in that amount of time. I believe there is a way to short the process cycle but MS frowns upon the idea of changing it.

Thanks,

Brian

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Hi Brian,

I have been planning to introduce a direct interface to TFS Deployer where you can trigger the deployment immediately and it will then update the build's quality setting in TFS as a side-effect, and provide closer to real-time feedback as the deployment occurs instead of waiting indefinitely for a completion email. Although I haven't scheduled this work yet.

Regards,

Jason

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:13 AM
Edited Nov 10, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Brian:

I just upgraded from TFS 2008 to TFS 2010.  I did the original TFS Deployer implmentation which has been running continuously for 1 year.  Recently I has "drafted" to update TFS Deployer for TFS 2010.  The first thing I did was remove the TFS 2010 two minute delay. (see link below) 

We went to production 2 weeks ago with this change and the "off the shelf" TFSDeployer.  We are experiencing the same performance and near zero delay as we did in TFS 2008.

http://consultingblogs.emc.com/crispinparker/archive/2010/03/05/team-foundation-server-2010-rc-job-service-delay.aspx

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:43 PM

First off sorry for the delay as I was out sick most of last week and have been trying to catch up ever since.

EdgeLandtech,

I understand that you can change the batch process time down to zero but as I already stated MS did not give the all go for or even a slight recommendation for setting the batch timing to close to zero.  They suggested back off to cycle times of one minute.  Moreover, you should shy away for making direct changes to the TFS Database, if you want to update the TFS Registry you should go via the API use Namespace Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Framework.Client.ITeamFoundationRegistry, you can use Powershell to do this with ease.  Then again whatever works as I do not mean to get on soap box. 

Jason

A UI for Tfs Deployer would be a slick concept, is there a time frame for this?  I have been brainstroming ideas and since our deployment platform is based in Powershell and it completely config based we might look to do the same and create a UI to our deployment platform.

thanks,

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Jason:

You are of course correct.  To be be honest I actually wrote a Powershell script to do just that and was too tired at the time of the post.