No signs of life with 2012 Deployer

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Problem
Running deployer interactively with -d shows it start and sync events, but nothing works. I see no log entries in the windows application or system log (I enabled the traces). The deployer doesn't seem to see the change events. It just sits there.

Background
I've been using deployer for years. We upgraded to TFS 2012 this weekend. Because all the configuration to get deployer running originally was based on the service account and the ports, I was hoping that all I'd need to do is to drop the new deployer in place, update the config file and we'd be good to go.

Web site
I can't get that working yet either. It comes back with a 503 Server Unavailable error "[ServerTooBusyException: The HTTP service located at http://localhost/Temporary_Listen_Addresses/TfsDeployer/IDeployerService is too busy. ]".
[WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.]
   System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() +1126
   System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout) +81

[ServerTooBusyException: The HTTP service located at http://localhost/Temporary_Listen_Addresses/TfsDeployer/IDeployerService is too busy. ]
   System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) +10260970
   System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type) +539
   TfsDeployer.Data.IDeployerService.GetUptime() +0
   TfsDeployer.Web.Services.DataService.GetUptime() in c:\Users\Jason\Documents\Dev\tfsdeployer\Branches\Tfs11\TfsDeployer\TfsDeployer.Web\Services\DataService.cs:23
   TfsDeployer.Web.Presenters.UptimePresenter.ViewLoad(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Users\Jason\Documents\Dev\tfsdeployer\Branches\Tfs11\TfsDeployer\TfsDeployer.Web\Presenters\UptimePresenter.cs:34
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +132
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +66
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +191
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2428
Also, I don't see any source labeled 2012 to try to figure out why logging isn't happening.
Jul 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I figured out the problem. There is a background job on the server that's apparently responsible for sending email notifications, as well as the events that deployer subscribes to. Once that job was started, deployer got a flood of notifications. Not sure why it was stopped, but we had just upgraded to TFS 2012 the day before.