TFS Deployer and firewalls

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:10 AM

How well does TFS Deployer function across multiple domains separated by firewalls? For instance, our TFS server sits on our internal network, and our staging/production servers on the external network. A firewall sits between the two networks, with all inbound connections from the external network to the internal network blocked, while outbound connections are allowed. If TFS Deployer is running on a UAT server on the external network, can TFS updates be pushed to it from the internal network, or does it rely on pulling, which would be blocked by the firewall?

I had this working with push deployments with CC.NET, I hope our migration to TFS won't take away out ability to automate deployments.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I don't the answer to your question, but I can help you understand how the application works.

When the app starts up it connects to your TFS service using WCF. It then registers to receive "build quality change" events. When it sees desired activity it executes PowerShell scripts on a defined machine.

The remote deployer app does indeed initiate the conversation.

I've never tried it, but you can run PS scripts on a remote screen and deployer does have a setting for the server name. You don't have to install deployer on each remote box. I'd think you could even install it on the build server (or a central box) and have it execute installation scripts on the remote boxes to push deployments.